Monday, August 06, 2007

My stuffed zucchini recipe

Many have asked me to share the stuffed zucchini recipe which I showed in my previous entry. I hope you will enjoy this:

Stuffed Zucchini (for two people)

2 medium zucchini
1 onion or 2 spring onions
1 500ml package of fromage blanc (0% fat)
1 package sliced ham
1 handful of rice
grated cheese
rosemary, basil and thyme
salt and pepper

Cook the handful of rice. While this is cooking, cut off the ends of the zucchini and remover the seeds. Be careful not to hollow out the zucchini too much. This is a light meal and you want the 'meat' of the zucchini still to eat. Place the zucchini halves in a lightly oiled baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a little grated cheese.

Slice the spring onions and saute them until they are softened and glassy looking. Add the chopped ham to the pan for the last two minutes. In a bowl, combine the fromage blanc and herbs. Salt and pepper to taste and add a little grated cheese. Stir in the cooked rice and ham/onion mixture.

Spoon the mixture into the zucchini and sprinkle with more grated cheese. Bake these for about 30 minutes in a 375F oven. The cooking time will very much depend on the zucchini so be sure they have cooked and softened. If not, simply allow more time.

***I searched online for what could be purchased in other countries for what we call 'kwark' here in Holland. 'Fromage blanc' was suggested on a couple of sites and should be found in the cheese departments of supermarkets. ***

I sincerely hope you enjoy this delicous healthy recipe. It is one of our favorites.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing this Heidi.

Kristen said...

This sounds so yummy! The only question I have is what is fromage blanc? I just can't wait to try this out. Hopefully I can get that ingredient here though. Thanks for sharing!