Friday, June 06, 2008

Garden updates and a tag

I went to a garden center yesterday with a friend and brought home a few items including these two pretty blooms. The white flower is Gaura 'Whirling Butterflies' and I love it so much in my garden at Cranberry Cottage that I decided to get one for my city garden too. I had found the Astrantia 'Star of Beauty' for my friend as I thought it combined very well with the Gaura but then went and got one for myself. I think the combination of these two flowers is stunning together.


I had not expected my now five summers old gillyflowers or pinks to come back this year. I was really happily surprised to find them in full bloom again even though they had been invaded by a self seeded Dusky Cranesbill (Geranium phaeum) but there it was wrapping the dark purple of the Cranesbill with its pretty pink hues.


My Widow's Tears (Spiderwort) is in full blossom and looking beautiful with its hairy flower centers. I love the common name of this flower and wonder where it comes from. Does anyone know how they got the name of Widow's Tears?


My Tiny Toms look like they are going to be a success! Jos called me outside earlier this week when he discovered there were tiny green tomatoes forming.


My sage and parsley are also growing at an insane tempo. I lost the rosemary plant which did not take off well. I replanted it from this pot to the garden but it looks very sad for itself. Still I have hope that it might bounce back.


And finally, I had to share this cute photo of Dagi with you. We had put the granny square afghan on the rocking chair while making the bed and take a look who found it. Dagi curled up on it and gave me his "Grandma made this afghan just for me!" look. Needless to say, Dagi always wins in this house and we left him to stay comfortable on it.


I have been tagged by three blogging friends, Heidi at Foxgloves Fabric and Folly, Rhondi at Rose Colored Glasses and Teresa B at Girl with Needles.

The rules: I have to answer 6 questions about myself. At the end of the post, I then tag 6 people and posts their names, then go to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they have been tagged and asking them to read my blog for the rules. Then, I must let the person who tagged me know when I've posted my answers.

I will not be tagging anyone further as this tag has been going around for a while now and many have already been tagged. If you are a regular reader here and would like to do the tag, please do consider yourself tagged by me though.

*****

What was I doing 10 years ago?

About 10 years ago is when they discovered what my health issues were and I was starting to deal with that, not successfully in the beginning I might add. I was also busy setting up my quilt group and workshops. The quilt group has developed into a family of wonderful ladies who I feel privileged to know. While I am no longer able to give any workshops, I am able to share any knowledge through my monthly quilt group.

5 things on my to do list today:
Lots of laundry
Ironing
Packing for Cranberry Cottage
Make dinner
Relax with a book and my stitching

3 snacks I enjoy:
Cup of hot tea with a really tasty cookie
Seedless grapes
Kaas stengels (a Dutch flaky pastry stick with cheese flavour)

4 things I would do if I were a millionaire:
I know that I will never be a millionaire in reality although I feel rich emotionally if you know what I mean. I never thought about this seriously as it is just not something that will happen. I think I would finally make our endeavour to find a bungalow happen. We have been searching for almost 5 years and most of them are just too far out of our budget. It would take the entire amount to get one that we hope to have as they are very expensive here in our area of Holland. Getting older costs too much money obviously. LOL!

5 places I've lived:
England
Belgium
Sweden
USA
The Netherlands

Jobs I've had:
Activity therapist assistant in a nursing home *** rewarding to do ***
Travel agent *** Yuk job but brought my DH into my life ***
Homemaker and cook, wife, kitty mommy and quilter/stitcher *** This is my favorite list of jobs which I would never give up! ***

*****

10 comments:

Kristen said...

Your pictures are beautiful! They could easily be framed and put in some sort of collage for a garden! Wonderful!

Ten years ago my little girl was 5 and not DATING!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH :)

And my sweet boy was not even here yet, but on his way!!!!!

Rhondi said...

Hi Heidi
How are you? I love Gaura, but I've had 2 and they both died! ANd I have never heard spiderwort called widow's tears, but it is such a nicer nmae than spiderwort. Well My porch party was a great success and I am trying to get around to everyone who cam eto say thank you. I think it's going to take me all day. I'm glad you enjoyed the pink lemonade.
Thanks for being my friend.
Hgs, Rhondi

Nancy said...

Ohhhhh that cat. I really didn't know I was making that afghan for him, but guess I did. lol.
Your flowers are beautiful, I never knew pinks were gillyflowers.
My Henry stitching is off to a good start. I have to just keep my nose out of books and keep stitching. Have fun at the cottage.
Love you, Mom

Ragged Roses said...

What great answers to your tag Heidi! Love your garden flowers, I've never heard of Guara, it's lovely.
Dagi looks very handsome. Hope you have a good weekend, take care
Kimx

Elizabethd said...

Oh i love Astrantia, there are so many forms of it , and so pretty. I have some beautiful Heuchera too, which is nodding away in the breeze today.
How well your garden is doing!

Reginas Cottage said...

Hi Heidi
Beautiful pictures from your garden.

Have a nice week!!!!
Groetjes,Regina

Amy Marie said...

Love to read the little tidbits about you! Allows everyone to know you a little bit better! Looks like your garden is doing well. I'll be sharing pictures of mine very soon!

Carolien said...

Hi Heidi,

Your picture of 'souvereign Dagi' is great! This boy really has some LOOKS, incredible ...

Have a nice evening & hugs, Carolien

Mary said...

Now I know even more about you dear friend - and my hopes are that your health will improve, and that you and Jos will some day find your dream bungalow......at a bargain price! Now, if I win the Billion dollars, I'll treat you!!!

Your flowers, herbs and tomatoes look great - my veggies are just now taking off with the warm (like in RED HOT!) weather.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidie,

Heerlijk toch al die bloeiende planten in de tuin, maar je hebt gelijk wanneer het een lange poos droog is kan dat soms wel een probleem zijn. We hebben 2 regentonnen om alle kuipplanten water te geven en sinds vorig zomer zijn we trotse bezitters van een eigen bron ! Met een pomp erop kunnen we dan een groot deel van onze 3500 m2 bereiken. Dat lukt niet met een gewone tuinslang en gieter ;))
Wat leuk dat je het klooster in Ter Apel kent, ben je er wel eens geweest ? Mocht je weer een keertje gaan laat het mij dan weten !! Leuk, Leuk, Leuk.
Groetjes en een fijne dag.
Janneke.