Monday, June 08, 2009

It arrived!

Look what arrived in the middle of my living room today! We finally have our oven and hob. What a terrible time we had with this. First, the one we ordered was delayed a week. Then we were called to say it would be six weeks followed by a call that it would now be the end of July. They also told us there was no guarantee that it would arrive then either. We just gave up.


The problem is that I want a nostalgic look oven in black and they are no longer in fashion. Things not in fashion in Holland are just impossible to find. A couple of companies are still making them but they are few and far between. I found this one which has a great oven and not so great fob. I want iron not metal for the fob but this had to be my comprise as the next choice would have been very much more money and I would have probably had to buy new pans as they would not have held up. That hob had an extra strong burner. So I made the comprise and the oven is sitting in my living room waiting our handyman's attention.

He also has to replace our brand new faucet which is not working. It is faulty and we arranged for a new one (different model as this one is no longer being produced...go figure) and to be able to return the other one as soon as the handyman can switch them. They wanted us to bring it in when we picked up the new faucet but we told them we would have no water and have to pay our handyman for an extra visit. This kind of thing is fine when you can do this work yourself but not when you are paying someone. I will be so glad to see the last part of the kitchen come together.

To top that off, my electric water cooker died this past week. I always said when it did I would not replace it with another. I want to go back to the old fashioned whistling tea kettle. I bought one for Cranberry Cottage and realized how much I miss waiting for my water to boil and hear that whistle blow. A simple pleasure in life. I have picked one out I would like but we have to get downtown which is not easy for me right now.

Did you know it is cherry season? Cherries are available now again in the shops here in Holland. Hard to believe that it was not that long again that I was posting about driving to see the cherry blossoms.

Jos loves warm cherry sauce on ice cream. He saw they had cherries in a jar on sale at the supermarket and brought home a jar which he left sitting on the counter for me to find. I place them in a saucepan with the liquid in the jar and simply add some cornstarch to bind them into a thicker sauce. It is a great treat on a summer's eve.

A further note about my health ~ I had my check up at the hospital on Friday. I was told with two to four new higher dosages, I should be in balance again and start feeling better. If it ends up only two dosages are needed, that will be feeling better by autumn. The doctor told me to remain patient. I am not a person to only lie around on the couch and it is hard. I did get a little disheartening news in that my second biopsy is needed and has now been scheduled for August. I am scared this time as my thyroid is becoming hard as a result of the treatment. My doctor gave me something to take starting the day before the biopsy to help me relax. I will be very glad when this is over.

15 comments:

Annemarie said...

Hooray!!! I know how you were looking forward to your new hob, and it finally arrived! Love the look of it so far.

I understand what you mean with waiting for the kettle to whistle :o) I didn't get an electric kettle,because I missed that too. Also, if I have time to drink tea (which takes surprisingly longer too cool than coffee), I certainly have to time to wait for the water to boil. I got me a Le Creuset, and I still love it every time I use it :o)

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Well that is a piece of good news - and hope the rest to follow is good too. I'll be thinking of you as you go through this time with the doctors.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

So happy that your oven arrived!!!

And so glad that you got some good sounding news, on your health. Best wishes that it all smooths out. And soon as possible.

Gentle hugs,
Aunt Amelia

Linda said...

Yay! I'm so glad your oven arrived it's going to wonderful to get your kitchen completed. I'm glad you did get some good news about your treatment, I'm hoping two dosages will be all you need...I know your doctors want the best for you and are working hard to get you well...you are in my thoughts and prayers...hugs, Linda

Susan in SC said...

oh boy! A new oven just waiting for wonderful things for you to cook! I hope you start to feel better soon. I'm sending you some cyber chicken soup and lots of hugs!

Love,
Susan

Nancy said...

Ohhhhhhh I love Cherries. Mary just posted them on her blog also. Ok, guess I need to make a trip to the store.
I know you will be very happy when your new oven is in place. Hope it is all you hoped for.
No comment on the medical part, I told you, I want to be an ostrich with my head in the sand.
Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hoi Heidie,
Het kan soms heeel wat voeten in de aarde hebben hè als je iets besteld !!! Gelukkig is het nu binnen..ben heel benieuwd :)) en wat grappig van die fluitketel ! Gisteren zei ik nog tegen Wim dat ik op zoek was naar een "nostalgisch" model ketel :) Maar ze zijn zo moeilijk te vinden.
Laat je wel een foto zien als jij een nieuwe hebt ??
Groetjes van ons alledrie !
Janneke.

Anonymous said...

Hanging in there with you Heidi. The cherries looked out of this world. Strawberries and cheeries. Can't get any better than that.
Blessings.
QMM

Pondside said...

It's been such a long time since I visited this blog of your Heidi - I always seem to go to your Needle Necessities and miss this!
I'm so glad that you finally have your oven - what will you bake first?

Elizabethd said...

Nice new oven!
Keeping your health issues always in prayer.

Blessed With Four said...

Those cherries do look yummy and make such a pretty picture - sorry about your health troubles - did not realize, hope you get postitive results soon (((((hugs)))))

Happy@Home said...

Your cherry pictures are so pretty. The bowl is gorgeous and so is the cross stitch piece. I love fresh cherries in season.
Glad to hear you have some good news on your health, but I'm sure it isn't easy to have to keep waiting. I hope the time passes quickly for you. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Hugs,
Kim

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Cherries and a new oven can only mean one thing! Cherry pie!!! don't you agree?

I'm so happy for the good news about your health. And I wish you more and more good news as the summer progresses.

Tracy said...

Yiiiipppiiieeee! Great news on the new hob arriving at last! And not least that soon you may be feeling better for longer--so very glad for you my friend. I hope two dosages does the trick. It is hard living with something on-going and chronic...one wants to be active all the time. I well understand. But patience is a virtue, so 'tis said. ;o) So be kind to yourself... Love those cherries and needlework. Cherries are such pretty little things... Happy Days ((HUGS))

Cindy at her Country Home said...

Lieve Heidi, kijk even op m'n weblog heb een verrassing voor je vanuit mijn hart! Liefs van CinX