Wednesday, July 18, 2007

What do you do with in~season zucchini?

We love zucchini and eat it once a week. Now that it is in season, there are much bigger zucchini available and for pennies practically! I decided last night that I wanted to do something else with my two zucchini in the fridge. I have not zucchini soup for a while again so that is what we had for dinner. Each time I make this soup, I wonder why I don't make it more often. It is so simple to whip this up just before dinner. I am going to share my recipe with you and hope you too will enjoy making this simple but delicious soup...

Zucchini Soup

2 to 3 medium zucchini
1 medium onion or bundle of spring onions
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp parsley
salt and pepper
1 cup low fat plain yogurt

Slice zucchini and cut up into quarters. Chop onion. Place in large saucepan with olive oil to saute until softened, about 15 minutes. Place lid on the pan to keep the vegetables from drying out. Add herbs, salt and pepper and broth to the vegetables and bring to a boil. Let simmer for a further 10 minutes. Puree the soup in a blender, food processor or mixer. Be sure you puree all the zucchini. Now add the cup of yogurt. This soup is good eaten either warm or cold so the perfect thing to make ahead and take along on a picnic! Serve with garlic bread or sandwiches.

' Ice cafe'

Cold, strong coffee
Vanilla ice cream
Coffee liquor (optional)

Make very strong coffee and let sit to cool off. Place a couple of balls of ice cream in a glass or cup and pour just a tad of coffee liquor over the ice cream. Now add the coffee and top with whipping cream. Serve with a spoon and straw. Enjoy a fun and refreshing summer treat!

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Looks and sounds delicious Heidi. I want an iced coffee now! I made broccoli soup similar to your zucchini soup. Thanks for sharing your recipes.

Suzann said...

Heidi, that iced coffee sounds amazing and I adore that cup and saucer set!!! Your zucchini soup recipe is definitely worth a try too.

Suzann

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi:
The heck with the receipe, I want
the soup, MADE BY Y0U. HAHA
Love Mom

Janice said...

Mmmmm, both recipes sound wonderful! Thank you for sharing!
By the way, I love your new blog look...the colors are great!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipes, Heidi! I really want to try the iced coffee. ♥

Anonymous said...

YUMM! Heidi, this looks wonderful! Mitch would love the dessert! :) You are too good!

Anonymous said...

Again, I am coming to your house! My little family would say, "what's this? Where's the meat?" I would ADORE it! Oh yea, I'll take a cup of the ice coffee after, too! :)
Hugs,
Diane

Solstitches said...

It has been too long since i visited this blog. The soup looks delicious and oh the coffee.......mmmmmmm.

Margaret