Friday, October 03, 2008

Cheerful autumn.....


Autumn is a very cheerful to me. I love watching all the leaves changing colors, walking in the woods when there is a nip in air, or simply seeing a leaf dance in the wind as it falls to the ground.

Normally I don't show much of my handwork on this blog as I have kept that seperate for my needlework blog but my handwork is very much a part of my autumn decorations. Photo above shows my dining room table with a basket of toadstools and my acorn salt and pepper shakers on my new quilted tablerunner. Join me as I show a few things in my home?

Click on the photos to enlarge.


One of my hobbies is making bobbin lace. I love toadstools, as you know, so I made these lace toadstools. This year they are sitting on a little table just in the entrance along with my fabric acorn pincushions. I am going to make some more fabric acorns next week to use in a basket with pinecones.


I bought this wooden pumpkin a number of years ago while visiting my mother in Ohio and still love it.


The hutch has fall leaves draped over the top along with just a few simple accessories.


My butler tray is constantly changing. Now it holds a an autumn display. This is my favorite lamp. I love the way the shade looks in the evenings. It gives a beautiful warm glow.


An autumn quilt now hangs on the quilt wall of the living room.


My autumn tree! I love this and the photo does not do it justice. Why I don't know but I cannot seem to really capture this tree well in a picture. It is full of autumn colored flowers, berries, nut garland and acorn garland.


Evenings are wonderful with the tiny fairy lights warming the look of the tree even more.


I turned a stitched piece I made into a quilter tabletopper to use with my toadstools plate on my coffee table.


Tasha Tudor can be found among my fall items with her book "Pumpkin Moonshine". The pincushion was an online exchange gift made for me by Roberta. I love it and use it as part of my decorations.


My 'plumpkins'. You can read abou them and how to get the pattern here.


A cinnamon candle in a dish with little pumpkins rests on top of our woodstove when there is not a fire going.


Yesterday, my house smelled delicious with the chestnuts roasting in the oven. I tried following the instructions from the BBC food website but they were overcooked and we had to throw them away. At least the house smelled good. Does anyone out there have tips for roasting chestnuts?

Have a color~filled weekend! Be sure to get outdoors and enjoy autumn!

22 comments:

the tattered nest said...

beautiful autumn touches Heidi...I love your new header on your blog! Have a great autumn weekend...

bigbucketgirl said...

what a wonderful autumn home you have. it looks very warm and inviting and i love that you have a quilt wall! I think i need to fin one in my house.

Lovely photographs.

Christine said...

Your home is just beautiful Heidi! You have such a knack for decorating. I adore all your crafts but am extra fond of the pumpkin wall hnging and how you arranged the leaves on top and the table topper with the cross stitch is amazing.

Happy Autumn at Crnberry Cottage!

Nancy said...

Well, you already know I love it all. You are a most talented little girl. Yes, you still are my "little" girl. I just leave my house as is, and add a few things for the season, not youuuuuuu, you do it all. It looks great. Bet you wish you had Matilda, but you can visit her on my blog. LOL.
Love you bunches, Mom

Carolien said...

It all looks wonderful in your house again! I love your quilt the most, it's a masterpiece.

Hugs, Carolien

Roberta said...

Heidi, I am with you - Autumn is such a lovely time of year. Love the colors, smells and views.

Your house is charming.

Roberta

Linda said...

Hi Heidi, I loved seeing all your touches of Fall. I especially like the treasures you have created....hugs, Linda

Jo said...

Love all your autumn decorations. Even though I love Spring I wish it was autumn here and we were going into Winter not Summer.I dont like our aussie summers that much, its to hot for me.Your pumpkin quilt on the wall with the autumn leaves draped around it looks great. Isnt it fun changing things around,unfortunately at the moment with life being so busy for me I dont get to do it as much as I would like too.Take care

Rhondi said...

Dear Heidi
All your fall decorations are beautiful. I clicked on every picture to enlarge them and everyone was wonderful. I love all your handwork, especially the crosstitch and the quilt onthe wall.
Hope you have a happy weekend.
Hugs, Rhondi

smilnsigh said...

Thank you so much for taking us on a little Autumn tour of your home. I so love such!!!

Gentle hugs,
Miss Mari-Nanci

Happy@Home said...

Hi Heidi,
Thank you for that lovely tour of your home decorated for autumn. Everything looks so nice. You are a very talented seamstress and I particularly love the sampler that you quilted for your tabletop.

~Kim

Melissa said...

Heidi,

Everything looks so beautiful.

I think I have a similar swan on the top of my hutch, too.

Melissa

Pondside said...

It's clear that autumn is your favorite season - what a lot of care and love you put into your home, but especially at this time of year.
Autumn is also my favorite time or year - the beautiful colours, the smell of woodsmoke in the air, the crisp apples and gorgeous squash in the market.......all so vibrant!

Anonymous said...

I love our little treasures that we take out at this time. Those that we make ourself are even better. Your home looks so inviting.
PattiO

Mia said...

Your autumn decorations are really pretty, Heidi! I do know that you love this time of the year, and your home sure shows it. I have still been holding on to summer for as long as I can, but will have to give inn now... We had the most terrible autumn storm last night, and most of my flowerpots, watering cans and the like on the deck were blown over, willy nilly. So tomorrow we are going to move the deck furniture into storage, and the summer flowers in their pots into an insulated outhouse for storage too.

Your autumn handiwork is looking lovely as part of your seasonal decorating scheme. I seem to have only summery handiwork at hand... I should probably try to do something out it...

Is was very nice indeed to see a photo of you with your friends in your last entry. And the autumn woods looked beautiful indeed.

In my laundry room entry you asked about the view from the window... well I am afraid it is not all that pretty, as it looks out towards the barn. But once the sheep (in a few weeks time, depending on the weather) are back in the barn I do love to be able to see them in their little "courtyard" just outside the barn.

Tone said...

Hi Heidi!
You make wonderful things!

We have been at our cottage in the mountains, and the first snow came on Friday -the kids just loved it!

Have a nice day!
Tone

Terri said...

Your home looks so cozy, Heidi!
I really love the swan on top of the hutch! He's lovely.

Kristen said...

Beautiful pictures! I love that stitched table topper! I think that might be my favorite creation of yours. It is hard to pick but that is beautiful!!! Happy season to you!!! :)

Anonymous said...

When we lived in Homeworth the neighbors across the street used to roast chestnuts on a bonfire, Heidi, but I don't remember how they did it... just how good they were.

Eric

Tone said...

Heidi
Yes,heath blooms by end of July and all August.It is lovely, the hills just glow in purple!
See my blog this afternoon, - what we didn`t know,is that they shot a BEAR when we left our cottage yesterday.
Uhg....
Lucky we did not meet "him" outside our cottage!
Tone

Ragged Roses said...

Well you have certainly embraced Autumn in your house Heidi, it looks so inviting and warm, really reflecting the change in seasons, I can just imagine you there in the evenings with the fairy lights flickering on your lovely Autumn tree.
Kimx

Tracy said...

Pure delight this post, Heidi! Your needlework skills are superb and a joy to see! I espeically love that table runner at the top and that little pumpkin wall hanging! Your home is so prettily decorated for autumn...it's like the outdoors come indoors! I have few fall decorations, as they are not easy to come by here but hope to get some bits & pieces out before long, before Christmas rolls around--LOL! Happy Day, my friend ((HUGS))