Monday, April 23, 2007

Life's little surprises



Many times life brings us beautiful surprises. We simply have to look for them. Years ago when we moved to this house, I brought with us this camilla planted in a pot. I realized it was not doing well and even though it was the wrong color for the new garden we planted which was all blue and white flowers, I placed it in a far corner. I did not think it would live as it was really tucked away. I was out helping my husband with the garden one evening last week and found this pretty bloom hiding away. This camilla not only has survived where is was placed, it also had at least four blooms. With the renovations we are doing in the garden, the camilla is no longer so shoved away as it was. I may even move it out more into the garden. It showed me that it wants to thrive.

This is a good lesson to learn on a spring day. We have been hunting a new house for well over three years. Our efforts up to now have not been rewarded. We just never seem to find that 'right' property. I can take a lesson from this camilla blossom and bloom where I am planted for now. My time will come to be moved to a better place.

The Flower

Once in a golden hour

I cast to earth a seed.

Up there came a flower,

The people said, a weed.

To and fro they went

Thro' my garden bower,

And muttering discontent

Cursed me and my flower.

Then it grew so tall

It wore a crown of light,

But thieves from o'er the wall

Stole the seed by night.

Sow'd it far and wide

By every town and tower,

Till all the people cried,

"Splendid is the flower!"

Read my little fable:

He that runs may read.

Most can raise the flowers now,

For all have got the seed.

And some are pretty enough,

And some are poor indeed;

And now again the people

Call it but a weed.

~~ Alfred, Lord Tennyson ~~

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Beautiful Camilla Heidi! They bloom all winter here. Their lessons sound very valuable.

Nancy

Ragged Roses said...

Oh Heidi what a wonderful philosphy to have! The camilla is beautiful and looks very happy in its home!
Kim x

Anonymous said...

Your camilla is beautiful! I'm so glad you've decided to "bloom where you're planted" and make the most of it. That's a wonderful philosophy although often easily forgotten. ♥