Thursday, April 03, 2008

From a spark to a flame.....

Do you get things into your head and don't let them go even if it takes a long time before you carry them out? My husband says I do. Sometimes, I just don't get to them and other times, I am waiting for all the perfect parts to come together.

Today I finally created a pretty idea for decorating out that I came up with many moons ago. About 18 years ago, my brother came to Holland to visit us for the first time. We took him to visit a castle in the south of the country called Kasteel Hoensbroek. I bought a guidebook at the time and there were two lovely portraits printed in the book which I thought would look so nice framed. All these years later, while working on Christmas gifts in the autumn of last year, I found this book once again and thought again how I needed to frame these two lovely portraits.

Back in December, while shopping in my favorite shop in Brugge, Belgium, I found two perfect frames to use for them. I knew they would be just right as they looked so opulent. Again time passed and the frames sat in their boxes waiting to be used.

I was spring cleaning in my quilt studio again yesterday and what did I stumble upon? The guidebook with the portraits. Today, I got out the frames and here are the results (don't forget to enlarge the photo to see in detail)...


May I introduce you to:
Gravin (Grand Duchess)van Hoensbroek, Sophia Charlotte Maria Catharina Walburgis van den Leyen en tot Hohengerdoldsegg

and her husband

Graaf (Grand Duke)Lotharius Franciscus Wilhelmus Henricus Hyacinthus Victor van Hoensbroek.

I could not resist sharing their full names with you. What a mouth full! This couple were the last of the line of the family to live in the castle. The family line continues but they now reside in Germany. The castle was lived in up to 1787 and is now a beautiful museum.



23 comments:

Nancy said...

Very cute idea Heidi. Now tell everyone Jos's full name. LOL. It is also a mouthful. The frames look so nice next to your books.

BittersweetPunkin said...

Wonderful...what a great idea! They look right at home in those frames too...and I love all your old books!!
Hugs,
Robin

Pondside said...

Charlotte certainly had a large handle to carry around behind her name!!!
I used to live not far from Hoensbroek and have many lovely memories of the small castles throughout South Limburg.
The frames portraits are lovely - my kind of souvenire!!!

Carolien said...

The frames are perfect for these portraits!

Hugs, Carolien

Andylynne said...

What beautiful pictures, and the frames are amazing . Good job getting them all situated and looking like a million. It is only through you that I have any knowledge of your favorite town, I feel like I actully can picture what your talking about. Isn't that neat.

Andylynne said...

What beautiful pictures, and the frames are amazing . Good job getting them all situated and looking like a million. It is only through you that I have any knowledge of your favorite town, I feel like I actully can picture what your talking about. Isn't that neat.

Amy Marie said...

Happy Anniversary Heidi & JOs

Kristen said...

The frames are perfect! I think that you should have to say that five times fast! :) The books are just as beautiful!

Betty said...

Heidi,

Gorgeous frames and such important looking subjects....

Always enjoy dropping into see what you are doing....Betty

Betty said...

Heidi and Jos,

Happy, Happy 21st Anniversary to you sweet friends.

I hope your day is crammed full of good things and that you make many memories to be taken out and relived time and time again.....

If I can find the snap hooks I'll be happy to mail them to you....Betty

Anonymous said...

Yes the frames look wonderful. So you now have the frames en old books. Only thing you miss is the castle! However, they always say: your home is your castle. So everything is perfect. Have a nice dinner on your wedding-anniversary. Groetjes and hugs, Elly

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

Hi Heidi

I was just over at Kristen's blog and wanted to wish you and hubby a happy anniversary.

angelasweby said...

Well Heidi,
I can see that a good idea is never wasted on you. Every little seed that takes root in your fertile soil will always grow and blossom into a strong and eyecatching plant however long it lays dormant :>)
And talking of plants, how wonderful to have Hyacinthus in your name - now Lotharius - i amnot so sure about..haha!
The portraits really are beautiful and the frames are just perfect. It needed you to bring them together :>)
Hugs, Angela

Fete et Fleur said...

Wonderful! I do the same thing. I get an idea and it could be years before it's realized.

xx Nancy

Karen said...

What a great idea Heidi - but I sure wouldn't have wanted to sign those names to many times, LOL.

Happy Spring - Karen

Diane Fay (littlealma) said...

O-o-o=hhh I think I went through that castle also - many, many years ago! Is it near Maastricht? My brother and his family lived there and when I was him high school and visiting, we went to see the castle. And didn't they have half naked ladies decorating the fireplaces, and seems to me I remember the tour guide making some off color comments about them! I also remember tiny little stairways up to the next floor. Anyway, fun memories! I enjoy your blog!
Diane from Michigan

Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous frames, Heidi! I often carry an idea around for years before it comes to fruition. Have a great weekend!
xo,
Lynda

Rose of Sharon said...

Hi, I came over from your neice's blog. Happy anniversary! I love the way you framed the pictures, they look perfect! They look like really old antique pictures! You did good!

:0) Sharon

Reginas Cottage said...

Hello Heidi
The frames are perfect.

I have a Award for you!

Hugs Regina

Elizabethd said...

How lovely Heidi, and how unusual too. Perfect frames for the very important people!

Ragged Roses said...

Hello Heidi! Those frame suit those portraits perfectly. Fancy having a name like that! Well we've got snow here and it's the start of the school holidays, perfect!
Kimx

Carolien said...

Hi Heidi,

There's an award waiting for you in my last entry!

Have a nice week & hugs, Carolien

Suzann said...

Absolutely beautiful. Such a great idea and they look so vintage and they perfectly compliment the antique books (or are they perfectly complimented by the books?). I love the names too - I'd hate to write that on a document - LOL.
Suzann