Thursday, December 21, 2006

Last installment of 'A Christmas Tree'

"A moment's pause, O vanishing tree, of which the lower boughs are dark to me as yet, and let me look once more! I know there are blank spaces on thy branches, where eyes that I have loved have shone and smiled; from which they are departed. But, far above, I see the raiser of the dead girl, and the Widow's Son; and God is good! If Age be hiding for me in the unseen portion of thy downward growth, O may I, with a grey head, turn a child's heart to that figure yet, and a child's trustfulness and confidence!


Now, the tree is decorated with bright merriment, and song, and dance, and cheerfulness. And they are welcome. Innocent and welcome be they ever held, beneath the branches of the Christmas Tree, which cast no gloomy shadow! But, as it sinks into the ground, I hear a whisper going through the leaves. "This, in commemoration of the law of love and kindness, mercy and compassion. This, in remembrance of Me!"


This photo is of a crazy quilt stocking I made years ago. A fun idea at Christmas time is to use stockings as holders for flower arrangements. They really adds festive cheer to anywhere they hang

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading to me over the Holidays Heidi - it was very enjoyable! I LOVE your crazy quilt stocking.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

This has been a lovely diversion, Heidi! Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Heidi for sharing such a lovely story. Hazelxx