Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Joyous springtime


The year's at the Spring,
The day's at the morn,
The Morning's at seven,
The hillside's dew-pearled,
The lark's on the wing,
The snail's on the thorn,
God's in his heaven,
All's right with the world.
~~ Robert Browning ~~

I showed you our wisteria which is one of my favorite things about the spring season. Here is another of my favorite things ~ birds feeding in our garden. We have a very tiny garden and this pergola is central in the garden to give the illusion that the garden is larger. It also provides us privacy as it fills up with a canopy of clematis. I love its extra function which is to be a landing place for the birds. Each year, the sparrows, which are now on the endangered list here in Holland, come to feed their young from our garden. We keep food specially for this and so enjoy watching them. The young birds sit and flutter away excitedly as their parents approach. If you click on the photo, you will be able to see these birds in better detail. I love watching birds all year round but it makes for a joyous springtime to be able to watch the young birds grow.

5 comments:

Ragged Roses said...

What a beautiful photo and poem. We have lots of bluetits in the garden at the moment and its lovely watching them flit between the branches, they seem to be very busy out there!
Kim x

Nancy said...

Very nice Heidi! The little sparrows are so sweet. I also love to listen to the birds and look at them. They are amazing!

Nancy

Nan said...

Thank you for the suggestion to click on the picture. Oh, they are so cute. I love your garden. I can't believe sparrows are endangered. All sparrows or just certain kinds? They seem like such a "common" bird, though I dearly love them. The song sparrow and the white-throated sparrow are the ones on my land.

Anonymous said...

This looks so peaceful! I'm sure that sitting under the pergola is a perfect spot to read, stitch or just daydream. We keep a bird feeder hung on one of our trees so we can watch the birds year round. ♥

Anonymous said...

Hi"
I am so glad you got such a good
picture after all. Those birds are
too cute.
Love you, Mom