Wednesday, May 23, 2007

When clouds cover the seasons...





This has been a trying week so far. We are having problems in our neighborhood with grade school boys throwing stones at the houses here. There seems to be very little we can do about it even after talking to the mother of one of the boys. I really pray that this situation will be resolved in that the boys will stop now but time will tell. What a shame that kids so young already show this kind of agression and vandalism.

Then last night, I had just fallen asleep and our radio was on with the news. My husband woke me up to tell me they just said that there was a huge fire buring out of control in the village of Appelscha where our weekend cottage is located. We got up to look for any current news on the computer. It started around 8:30pm and was still buring out of control at 1am when we finally tried to go back to sleep. Smoke poured out into the neighborhood directly behind the supermarket where people were told to keep their windows and doors shut. We felt really pulled by what was happening. Since we were lucky enough to find this cottage, we have really begun to feel like we are home there more than here. We find the people in this area very friendly and really enjoy the relaxed feeling of lifestyle there. The only supermarket in this village is totally lost along with a small clothes shop. I have not found any information about the drug store or home shop next to it but they are all connected in this small building so I imagine they have some damage also. My heart goes out to those working there and living in the immediate surroundings as there are four apartments next to the supermarket that had to be evacuated. The press photos are frightening to see.

I am reminded of my good friend Joanne's latest stitching finish. She made a beautiful pillow to give as a gift to her daughter's university professor with the quote "All will be well...". Clouds come and clouds go and yes, all will be well.

7 comments:

Nancy said...

This must have been so frightening to hear Heidi. I'm so sorry for the people this has effected, but I'm so glad that your cottage has not been harmed.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

How scary for you and for the town you feel such a strong connection to. I pray no one has been hurt and that all can easily be re-built. Hang in there...

Anonymous said...

Oh dear Heidi,
I'm so sorry that you have had such a bad week with both the unpleasantness of those dreadful out of control youngsters and then this worrying news about the area near your cottage. It must be so worrying for you and I do hope that everything is okay. Your quotation from Joann's blog brings to mind a favoourite one of mine which has helped me many a time. This too shall pass :>)
Warmest wishes, Angela

Terri said...

Oh my gosh! Heidi!
I am so sorry. Will they rebuild? Are the businesses insured like here in the states?
I'm so glad your country house was spared!
God bless.
Terri

Anonymous said...

Heidi, the fire must have been so scary for you and Jos! I'm glad your cottage was okay but I'm sorry for those that lost their businesses. As for those boys throwing stones, I hope they will soon stop and move on to something much more constructive. Here's to a better end to your week! ♥

Nan said...

Oh, dear Heidi. This is such sad, scary news for such a peaceful person. Please keep us updated on what has happened. Know my thoughts are with you.

Ragged Roses said...

So sorry to hear this news - I'll be thinking of you.
Kim x