Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Autumn cheerfulness

Autumn is a time when I seem to become more cheerful with the day. Can you tell? I feel positively giddy from the cool and grey sky today. There is a wind blowing and everything is looking a bit golden in anticipation of the colorful parade which will begin very soon. I keep working on autumn decorations throughout my house. I put together my toadstool arrangement last week. I have been doing this for about 14 years and still never tire of how pretty this is on a table. I bought this plate many years ago which is a piece of Portuguese Majolica to which I added some very real looking toadstool, small Indian corn, some dried seed pods and flower heads and accented with silk grape vine leaves. It is a timeless decoration which is why I love seeing it each season.


I would like to leave you today with this quote which would be my wish for all my blogger friends:

"Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn."

~~ Elizabeth Lawrence ~~

5 comments:

Nancy said...

A gorgeous arrangement Heidi! I, too, am very giddy from the Autumn season peeking in. I love the toadstools, and the quote is so true.

Anonymous said...

That quote is just perfect! ~ hugs, Lynda ♥

Andylynne said...

Fall makes me cheerful too. It officially decends on the 23. I love the cooler days, the beautiful evenings, and of course all the fall decorations. Your plate is wonderful and you have chosen beautiful things to grace it.

Mary said...

This is beautiful Heidi. Like you I am ready to embrace Autumn, my favorite time of year. Still quite hot in North Carolina but I am heading over to visit my home in England in a few weeks time - should be cooler there!

I have just fallen in love with your garden fork being used to hold that beautiful heart sign by your entrance. Will you mind if I borrow that great idea for my garden?
Have a wonderful week.

Kristen said...

I love the quote, and I will have to take you up on that! We have a beautiful view of the tree tops from the park at the top of the hill by our house.