Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Our first winter frost in the new year


Have you ever noticed how much prettier the world is when it is painted with frost? I woke up this morning to our first frost this year. It has been far too warm here in Holland. Last night it dipped down to minus 6C in some places. Here it was cold enough to give my garden slight touches of winter frost. I love looking out my window to see the white touches in the bright sunshine.

Photo of one of my garden lanterns.

Someone painted pictures on my
Windowpane last night --
Willow trees with trailing boughs
And flowers, frosty white,

And lovely crystal butterflies;
But when the morning sun
Touched them with its golden beams,
They vanished one by one.

~~ Helen Bayley Davis, Jack Frost

3 comments:

Vicky said...

Heidi, did the daffodils survive the frost? I saw that you mentioned on Lynda's blog that they're in bloom there.

Everything is still under ice here. It's a frozen world, brr.

Renee said...

I enjoy to browse through your site today. You live in a lovely nest indeed. We have frost in France too. I wish you a very good day.

Nan said...

Well, Heidi, isn't it just amazing that we both used that little poem. :<) I can't believe it!

I love your lantern and the holder. Very beautiful. I've never seen one like it.