Friday, June 08, 2007

The new "old" headboard

Last Saturday, we drove to a salvage yard to have a look around for an old iron gate we could use to make into a headboard. We found some really amazing gates and fences but many were very large and so heavy my husband could not even budge them. We found this one back in a corner tucked away. When we asked how large it was, they measured it and it was almost perfect. I knew once we added two hardwood posts it would be the exact size. It was not actually for sale they then told us as it was a sample of how they use the vintage spindles to make a gate. He did however go ahead and say we could purchase it. We were really pleased as we knew it was perfect for this.

This gives you a view of the entire bed. We are not finished as need two finials to finish off the posts and then I have to decide if I want to leave them as they are with the wood or paint them black. I will first have the job of hunting for the finials but what do you think? Once I have the patchwork quilt on the bed, I will also decide if I am leaving that wall in the oatmeal color of painting the single wall an accent color.

Here is a sneak peek at the quilt. With 12 meters length of bias binding, it is taking time to sit and sew it on by hand. I hope to have it on my bed by the middle of next week. My afghan came in the mail yesterday so I want it finished now more than ever! My mother crocheted it for me to go with the quilt. It makes me long for a chilly fall afternoon so I can sit on the bed with a good book to rest. By the way Mom, did I mention the colors work perfectly??? I keep repeating that to her as I think she worried they were too bright. You should see it laying on the quilt. It is really wonderful. For now, I am enjoying it draped over my rocking chair in the living room as I sew the binding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi:
Ok, i get it, you said it at least
10 times now. Ha Ha Ha. What a nut. I'm glad you got it and like it. I loveeeee the headboard, make one for my bed too now. Ok Jos, I hear you. Don;t paint it, it is great just like that.
Love you, Mom

Nancy said...

I have always loved the idea of an iron gate for a headboard, and yours is lovely Heidi. Your quilt is stunning, and tell your mom the afghan she made is very beautiful. How special!

Ragged Roses said...

What a wonderful idea for a headboard - it looks beautiful and works perfectly! The quilt and afghan match brilliantly, your bedroom already looks so pretty!
Kim x

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the headboard. It is an awesome idea AND it is beautiful. How about acorn finials? Your things are gorgeous, all of them!