Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Santa and nostalgic moments...

I love reworking an area of the house to make it look seasonal. I especially love sideboards as there is lots of space to really be creative. Our Christmas sideboard is now ready for the holidays...


My wall above the sideboard is normally where I have my little collection of silhouettes hanging. I love antique Santa cards and have a number of them framed. I would look for gilt frames each year to add another Santa postcard. This year, I worked them out so they could replace the silhouettes.


I had one nail that I could not find a small enough frame to fit well so I hung a very special card that was sent to me by my sister many years ago. I keep this card hanging on my hutch all year round to think of her.


She sent it to me once just because, as she wrote on the back, she said she was missing me. This is a real treasure to me now that she has passed on. I can just peek at her handwriting and it makes me smile!


I am setting things out a little more simply this year. I wanted a change in how I was using things. A few choice items placed just right...




I hope you turn up your speakers and enjoy the Christmas medley from the movie White Christmas. We were talking about this movie on my online stitching list and I could not resist to give everyone a nostalgic music interlude. Hope you enjoy it!

13 comments:

Ragged Roses said...

Your home is looking so festive, cosy and inviting. Thank you so much for these lovely photos. I am so glad you were able to keep that card from your sister and enjoy it. Take care, thanks for the music
Kimx

Maggie said...

Heidi,
I loved looking a your photos, i like your red wall, i am painting our dining room (as i speak) and i was thinking that one wall would work red!
I'ts really good that you kept the card your sister sent to you, how lovely to have it around all year.
Maggie x

Nancy said...

Your pictures are all so cute. I wish I would have framed Heidi at the Door after I stitched it. She could be hanging there too. Your sideboard is very pretty.
Love you, Mom
PS: You are still not sounding very well. Dagi better do a better job.

Sonja said...

Your home is really getting in the mood for xmas! Keep on going like this.

Saskia said...

The wall with the santa's look pretty. Love your decorations every season, but specialy this season.
I want to find the green pickle again...

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Heidi...I am catching up on my visiting..or at least trying to!

I love your decorations..very lovely..I too am decorating a bit more simply this year. I have way too many chotchkies and it's quite an undertaking putting them all out and then wrapping them up again!
Hugs,
Robin

Solstitches said...

Why do I always forget there are two blogs? Somehow I always forget to come here but I'm glad I remembered today.
How lovely your home looks all decorated for the season. You have such an amazing flair for decorating I'm sure you could have made a career out of this had you wanted to.
What a treasure the card from your sister is.
Hugs,
Margaret

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Beautiful, Heidi, and your wall color is so stunning!

Tracy said...

Thanks you for so much Christmas cheer, Heidi. Your decorating is so lovely to see...But hope you are taking it easy. Where's Dagi? ;o) ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

Hello Heidi,
It looks so warm and cosy in your room with this beautifully decorated table. Especially with your sister's card !
And i like the music...you know i have the DVD from White Christmas.
Love it, hugs, Janneke.

Tone said...

How nice the memory card you have from your sister........I`m sure you`ll always keep it in your heart.
Have had a friend over, we have baked Krumkakes for christmas. I`ll write about it tomorrow.
Today we have our 25th aniversary, med him when I was 16...and guess what - he forgot! haha...
Tone

Annemarie said...

Oh Heidi, I can't wait to come around and have a look round your home, because it looks so delicious! And did I mention I love red walls?
Such a sweet card to remember your sister by. I'm sorry to hear she's no longer with us.
We will miss you on Saturday, but we'll be thinking of you whilst stitching and sipping.

Christine said...

Heidi your decorating is so beautiful. Your really helping me get in the festive mood. How wonderful that you have such a special card from your sister. Little things mean everything.