Friday, February 20, 2009

Come with me to visit 'Het Eysingahuis'


This week, I went to a museum with a few of my quilting friends. There is a quilt exhibition at the museum in the northern city of Leeuwarden. I will show many of the quilts on my needlework blog but wanted to share some photos of the rooms in the house of the museum called 'Het Eysingahuis'. This house was the home of the family of a nobleman Frans Julius van Eysinga. He had this city dwelling built in 1779 where his family would spend six or seven weeks a year receiving guests and hosting dinners.


The house is built in the Louis XVI style and each room had a specific function. A few of the rooms are now decorated in a manner that a nobleman's home would have been in the 18th century although it is unknown exactly how 'Het Eysingahuis' looked at that time.

I love wandering through rooms like this and imagining the elagant ladies and gentlemen that lived and visited here. When there are few people in the rooms as there were that day, it is easy to almost see the ghosts of those long past.

The yellow salon was used for receptions, dinners or musical afternoons.

What a beautiful setting for a dinner!


16 comments:

Tracy said...

Such a beautiful place, Heidi...a wonderful place to visit. Those period rooms with their stately, refined elegance...Oh, I can imagine living in such rooms! Thank you for taking us along! Happy Weekend, my friend :o) ((HUGS))

Tammy said...

This "house" is beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

Oh, how beautiful!

Nancy said...

This looks like a fun house to visit. I'm glad you got to go after your hospital visit. I know your quilt ladies were glad too.
Love you, Mom

faerieeva said...

That seems like a wonderful visit. When you were in Brugges, did you visit the Gruuthuuse museum? I really loved that as one of the best museums there.

You should make a visit to Antwerp though. *W*

Jo said...

What a beautiful place to visit, I too love imagining the people going about their lives when visiting these historic old places.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Oh how lovely is this house! Thank you for sharing photos of it.

Aunt Amelia
"Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings."
~Jane Austen

angelasweby said...

Thanks for the wonderful tour Heidi. There are some very beautiful houses in Holland. i love the little details like the minatures and beautiful wallpapers and furnishings.
Hugs, Angela

Linda said...

What a beautiful mansion...I enjoyed my visit. Hugs, Linda

Ginny said...

If I had a house that wonderful, I'd want to spend more than six or seven weeks a year there! Such magnificence!

DonnaTN said...

I love visiting homes, whether they are historic or just on holiday home tours. History for me is about imaging how people lived their everyday lives, not just the big events. Thanks for sharing your visit with us. How fun to go with your quilt ladies!

Ragged Roses said...

What a wonderful building, it must be lovely to wander around those rooms at your leisure - how beautiful
Kimx

le ciel flamand said...

Wat een mooi huis! Zo'n mooie kamers, heerlijk om bij weg te dromen hoe de edele dames met hun lange rokken en de heren met hoge hoeden daar hun dagen doorbrachten...
Groetjes, Annelies

hazel c UK said...

Thank you for an interesting tour Heidi, I love the blue and white china set for dinner.
Hugs, Hazel(UK)

Anonymous said...

Wanneer heb je deze foto's gemaakt? Ik was toch ook mee en ik heb dit gedeelte van het museum helemaal niet gezien! Bedankt voor het nemen van die ene bijzonder mooie foto van de rode quilt. Hij is goed gelukt.
Groetjes, Elly

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.