Monday, February 02, 2009

February's heartsease

It is February and all thoughts turn to early signs of spring and signs of love. It is the month of Valentine's Day. A month when you let your spouse, family and good friends know that you love them and care. So while reading with my morning cup of tea, I came upon a sweet little passage about violets and knew I should write a post about this sweet little blossom.


Depending on our weather here in Holland, from this time on we can see 'bosviooltjes' or our wood violets appear. This year we are having a cold winter so it will be a while before the first appears. Called heartsease or commonly Johnny Jump Ups, these are wild pansies. Pansies mean "loving thoughts" while violets mean "faithfulness" in the language of flowers. Old fashioned wood violets are something I have never seen growing yet here in Holland. I did plant some last year at our cottage and hope they will return this year.

This is the first year I can ever remember that I don't have baskets and pots planted up with pansies. So far, with our cold weather, they have looked very poorly at garden centers and I have not purchased any yet. They are a very favorite of mine. So I am lingering over my photos of my baskets from last year and dreaming of adding these cheerful bright colors to my garden soon. In the meantime, I will content myself with this passage from the book "Flower Fables" by Louisa May Alcott...

"Then she spread the table afresh, and to it came fearlessly the busy ant and bee, gay butterfly and bird; even the poor blind mole and humble worm were not forgotten; and with gentle words she gave to all, while each learned something of their kind teacher; and the love that made her own heart bright shone alike on all.

The ant and the bee learned generosity, the butterfly and the bird contentment, the mole and worm confidence in the love of others, and each went to their home better for the little time they had been with the Violet."

20 comments:

Suzann said...

So lovely. I love the colors too.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Simply lovely. The basket is so charming. We have deer that eat everything and anything - so I have to have what few plants I grow up on my porch. I will definitely have a big pot of Johnny Jump Ups - my very favorite.

Brigitta said...

These are such happy, delicate little flowers, yet at the same time sturdy and strong. My mum has them growing through the cracks in het pavement.

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Heidi,
Your sweet viotets and Louisa May Alcott poem are so beautiful. I am glad to see you are having a few flowering for you, I am still watching for mine.

Nancy said...

I have seen your beautiful basket filled with flowers, sitting on your table in the garden.
The hanky is just so pretty.
Hope your day is going well, and then into evening already for you.
Love Mom

Linda said...

I haven't planted any pansies yet either, but I love them...I think they have sweet faces...hugs, Linda

Carolien said...

Oh, I love violets as well and what a nice passage ... makes me think of The Wind in the Willows ...

Thanks for sharing & hugs,
Carolien

Melissa Miller said...

Hello Heidi,
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and your kindness. I really appreciate it.

The flowers are all so lovely.
Holland must be a beautiful country.

Have a wonderful evening.
~Melissa

Andylynne said...

Heidi,
I have been away and have missed your blog. I will catch up more tomorrow. Your new banner is beautiful. I want to sit with her and write. Thank you for being a faithful blogger. I do so love to come here :)

Melanie said...

Johnny Jump Ups - one of my favorite flowers! I plant them every spring - which probably won't be for at least 7-8 weeks here (northern Illinois, US). :-(

DonnaTN said...

I have pansies around my mail box, but they are looking a little sad right now. I love the ones with contrasting colors on their "faces". I enjoyed the verse as well.

Tracy said...

These are among my favorite flowers! Though here in Norway, we don't see them this early, except in pots from the florist! Heartsease...I love that word. And I love Valentine's Day coming up--every days should be Valentine's Day when we share our love with our dear ones. :o) May you be having a lovely day, Heidi! ((HUGS))

Elizabethd said...

Such dainty little flowers, and they seem to seed themselves all over the garden.

angelasweby said...

Heidi,
These pictures are beautiful and bring so many wonderful words of poetry and prose to mind. I really enjoyed reading that poem. Hopefully, it won't be long before you have a beautiful basket of blooms to greet you every day :>)_
Hugs, Angela

Rhondi said...

Hi Heidi
I love pansies and johnny jump ups. I think they are the most cheerful of flowers with theri little faces looking up at me. I have pansies in planters and they are so cheerful all winter, except on those days when the temperature dips below freezing and they are all curled up as if to say "What are you doing to us?"
Enjoy your day.
Hugs, Rhondi

Mary said...

I have these same color 'Johnny jump ups' in pots - they have bloomed all Winter even on the coldest days. The large pansies have a few blooms too but, after a really frosty night, look a bit down in the mouth! They will of course blossom forth come Spring and then give their last hurrah as the hot Summer arrives here.

Hope all is going well dear - you are in my thoughts. I just e-mailed mom! My house is a disaster now the painter is here - I've escaped here upstairs and will perhaps have plenty of time to blog while I stay out of his way!!

Hugs - Mary.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

What a totally precious entry! Both the words and the photos. Thank you for a breath of spring.

I too love Violets, which tend to grow wild, here. In shades from purple, all the way to white.

And Pansies we buy at the garden shop. A sweet and happy flower.

And thank you for telling me of another book, by Louisa May Alcott.

Aunt Amelia
"A kiss is a lovely trick, designed by nature, to stop words when speech becomes superfluous." ~~Ingrid Bergmen

Melissa said...

Heidi,

Your blog just keeps getting more and more beautiful.

Tone said...

Making me long for springtime Heidi!
Just passing by to wish you a good nights sleep....understand you dont get too much of that these nights....
Love from Tone

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Soon there will be warmth on the earth for these happy flowers to grow!! Wishful thinking....

I love Violets!! They are one of my favs, too.

xo
Becky