Thursday, February 12, 2009

A 5th birthday...

...and no I am not telling porkies as my English mum would say! *grins* I won't explain the story again but will send you to last year's entry which explains everything. Now I wish I could get my little grand niece Zoe to believe that her great aunt is only just turning 5 so look at this photo...


Is this card not proof? Did you enlarge the photo and look at that number? I just received it in the mail this morning from a dear quilting friend of mine. I am 5 because the birthday card even says I am. When I said that to little Zoe, she laughed and told her mother I should not tell lies. I liked the year before's response better. She said to her mother..."I already been 4 right Mom?" Children do grow up too fast which is why I find my big brother a very wise man with his philosophy. We will just never grow up.

The flowers are also from my quilting friend and thank you so much Elly! I made two bouquets out of them.

Then Jos came home with a bouquet of red tulips for me yesterday evening. I joke with him as he no longer brings me flowers. It has everything to do with him having allergies though. He can have certain types of fresh flowers in the house and tulips are one of them.

I arranged the bouquet in a metal (zink) pail which by chance that same friend again gave to me last year for my birthday. I have lined it with an old plastic bowl which I no longer use. Using unusual items like this for flowers is fun.

Jos bought me this book which is the complete works of the Bronte sisters. I have always wanted to get the Bronte novels in old books but never done so. I hoped to find them in an old secondhand bookshop which is in Haworth, England. We have not been back to visit Haworth for a while and I still don't have all the Bronte novels. With the exception of Jane Eyre, those I have are cheap paperbacks. Don't get me wrong, paperbacks are great for reading but not so fun for a collection.

Now I have all the Bronte novels in this huge volume that is so pretty. There are pencil drawings and old illustrations throughout the book. I will enjoy using this book for vignettes in my home.


31 comments:

Rhonda said...

Heidi, very Happy birthday wishes to you!

I am sort of 5 too, if you only count the first digit in my age anyway.

Teresa said...

Happy Birthday Heidi!!

Tammy said...

Happy Happy Birthday Heidi!
My father always tries to reverse the numbers in his age...so now he says he is 48 this year....obviously this doesn't always work because reversing my age this year is definitely not working!! I like your method much better!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Heidi! Hope your day is special.
xo,
Lynda

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday dear Heidi!
Enjoy your special day!
Hetty

Mia said...

A very happy fifth birthday to you, Heidi! And what a clever idea to drop the first number in ones age, I really like that! I hope you will have a lovely day today.

Nancy said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY LIDDIE GRILL. That's what I used to call you and I know you remember, because you remember everything.
I know you will have a nice evening with Sonja and Mike. Tell Jos I am so proud of him giving you tulips and this beautiful book.
I hope your special day is wonderful. This morning I woke up remembering having you a few years ago. LOL. Well, maybe only 5.
Love you bunches,
Mom

Maggie said...

Hope you have a lovely birthday!
Maggie

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday, dear friend. Your flowers are so pretty. What a wonderful book to add to your collection. Enjoy your day.

angelasweby said...

Heidi
You have the ability to make an already very special day extra special. And one of your warmest characteristics is that, on your birthday, you give as well as receive :>) Thanks you so much for giving us Charlotte Bronte's beautiful poem in which she shows us how important it is to gather all the wonderful experiences we have now and store them so that we can enjoy them at times when our lives need brightening up. It's so easy to take everyday events for granted and not see the treasures that are mixed with them. You've also given us a beautiful haunting song to enjoy while we look at your lovely flowers and book. I hope you are having a magical birthday and that this evening ahead is a real dream.
Hugs, Angela

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Happy, Happy Birthday to you!!!

And I love your brother's idea. Yes, I do. A Birthday is just a number, anyway. Why let it depress us? I don't 'do big Birthdays' either. It's a big deal for children, but not for adults. IMHO, that is.

Such lovely things you have received this year though. Oh I'm sure that book is a gem. I hope you'll keep sharing illustrations with us, over time.

And we here, totally understand Jos's allergies problems. Seems here, that we can't have any cut flowers in our house, anymore. Nor can we have any candles with any scent. -sigh- So we just have to remember when we could. Have a few, anyway. :-)

Gentle hugs,
Aunt Amelia
"The most precious possession
that ever comes to a man
in this world
is a woman's heart."
~Josiah G. Holland

Rhondi said...

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Heidi
Happy birthday to you.
You'll have to provide the music yourself.
What a lovely book you received.
Hugs, Rhondi

hazel c UK said...

Hi Heidi, Thank you for sharing such beautiful flowers with us all. Enjoy your evening and the creme brulee.

Warm hugs,
Hazel (UK)

Reginas Cottage said...

Hello Heidi

Happy Birthday Heidi !!!!!
Wonderful flowerS!!!
Beautiful gifts!!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs and love
Regina

Carolien said...

Hello Heidi,

Lovely flowers and a lovely book! So very you!

Hugs, Carolien

Caroline said...

Happy birthday! Hope you will have a wonderful day and loads of cake.
Thank you very much for your wonderful blog. I am looking forward to many more returns!

Happy@Home said...

Happy Birthday Heidi. What beautiful flowers & book you received.

Thanks for your recent visit & kind comments. Thanks too for asking about my mom. She is doing pretty well (all things considered) right now. She spent 6 weeks in a nursing home after her stroke in December and I just brought her back to her asst. living apt. yesterday.

Have a wonderful day.

Hugs,
Kim

Amy Marie said...

Happy Birthday Cousin! I think I said this last year, but I'm only a day before you! Have a good one!

Karen said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Birthday to you sweet Heidi - 5 is a very good number :).

Hugs - Karen

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi,
Happy Happy Belated Birthdy! The flowers are beautiful! You should be like me and celebrate all month. It's really fun!
love,
Your cousin,
Shari

Susan in SC said...

Happy 5th Birthday Heidi! Yes, I think your niece has the right idea!!

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday. May you have a year filled love and happiness.

Tone said...

Happy 5th birthday Heidi!!
Haha!! - I am turning 2 the 7th of July... - starting kindergarten i august, hehe...
Longing for my cottage now - and freezing here... - the door has been open to get some air in the livingroom - brrr.. minus 20 outside.
Enjoy your tulips - and happy Valentine tomorrow!
Love knowing you!!
Tone

Ginny said...

I'm a bit late, but the wishes for a happy birthday are the same. Hope you had a nice day.

Mandie said...

Happy birthday aunt Heidi...I know I'm late and I'm sorry. I don't seem to have enough time in the day anymore. I hope you had a nice birthday and we all love you!

Jo said...

Happy birthday Heidi, I hope your day was wonderful.

Mary said...

That is a beautiful book Jos found for you Heidi - your collection of lovely old bound books is growing!

Pondside said...

Now I see how I missed your birthday - I hadn't been over here in a couple of days! I hope it was a happy one!

the tattered nest said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR HEIDI! it was my birthday yesterday...the big 5-0! I chose to celebrate my life instead of letting a number get me all worked up! I hope you had a great day! love the flowers and that book! hugs, Gail

Linda said...

Happy Birthday Heidi...a little late....I hope your day was filled with all things you love. Your flowers are so pretty and what a lovely book to always enjoy....hugs, Linda

DonnaTN said...

Happy Birthday just a little late. I'm glad you got the Bronte book that you can treasure for years to come!