Monday, February 09, 2009

The extraordinary today

When I need a 'Bronte fix', I pick up my book of poems written by the three sisters under the name of Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell. I was reading a poem written by Currer Bell or Charlotte Bronte called Winter Stores.

A poem can be many things to many people. You can pull an insight from a poem which might change at another point in your life. This poem inspired me to remember that this is an extraordinary day.



Not extraordinary in a special event but extraordinary in its everyday normality. I am going to spend the morning baking and doing my ironing. But today is a gift even in doing normal chores. I am content in life. I love being a housewife. I love doing everyday things.

I am reminded reading this poem to let today's ordinary be seen as a blessing, making it extraordinary. Listen to Sarah McLachlan sing about Ordinary Miracles and take a few quiet moments and enjoy Charlotte's beautiful poem...


"Winter Stores"

We take from life one little share,
And say that this shall be
A space, redeemed from toil and care,
From tears and sadness free.

And, haply, Death unstrings his bow,
And Sorrow stands apart,
And, for a little while, we know
The sunshine of the heart.

Existence seems a summer eve,
Warm, soft, and full of peace,
Our free, unfettered feelings give
The soul its full release.

A moment, then, it takes the power
To call up thoughts that throw
Around that charmed and hallowed hour,
This life`s divinest glow.

But Time, though viewlessly it flies,
And slowly, will not stay;
Alike, through clear and clouded skies,
It cleaves its silent way.

Alike the bitter cup of grief,
Alike the draught of bliss,
Its progress leaves but moment brief
For baffled lips to kiss

The sparkling draught is dried away,
The hour of rest is gone,
And urgent voices, round us, say,
"Ho, lingerer, hasten on!"

And has the soul, then, only gained,
From this brief time of ease,
A moment`s rest, when overstrained,
One hurried glimpse of peace?

No; while the sun shone kindly o`er us,
And flowers bloomed round our feet,--
While many a bud of joy before us
Unclosed its petals sweet,--

An unseen work within was plying;
Like honey-seeking bee,
From flower to flower, unwearied, flying,
Laboured one faculty,--

Thoughtful for Winter`s future sorrow,
Its gloom and scarcity;
Prescient to-day, of want to-morrow,
Toiled quiet Memory.

`Tis she that from each transient pleasure
Extracts a lasting good;
`Tis she that finds, in summer, treasure
To serve for winter`s food.

And when Youth`s summer day is vanished,
And Age brings Winter`s stress,
Her stores, with hoarded sweets replenished,
Life`s evening hours will bless.

By Currer Bell (Charlotte Bronte)


11 comments:

Elizabethd said...

How wonderful the Bronte sisters were. Their way of looking at life seems to be ahead of their time.

Monday for me is an ironing day! Maybe I'll get round to baking a little later.

Nancy said...

Your day will be good when it comes to a close with you and Elly
having supper together. Your meal and dessert sound really yummy. I know you two will be chatting and stitching. Have fun.
Love you, Mom

hazel c UK said...

Hope you enjoyed your day Heidi, I to am contented and count my blessings and enjoy the simpler things in life. I loved the poem. Thank you for sharing.
Warm hugs,
Hazel

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

A beautiful post, totally. Your thoughts are lovely. As are the poem's thoughts. Lovely and deep.

Thank you.

Aunt Amelia
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark, or an exclamation point. That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know." ~~Mistinguett

DonnaTN said...

I enjoyed the poem very much. How lucky you are to be content with your life. I dream of just living life without the push of going to work and then trying to fit the necessary every day chores into too little time. I don't understand people who are bored all the time. There are so many things that I would love to have the time to do...cooking, baking, stitching, reading...the list goes on.

Tone said...

What a lovely poem Heidi!!
And as you - I would love to be a home/housewife too ... - but - work is calling...
Yes, a lot lot of snow here now - spring seems far away I must say...
I am going by train to Oslo now - for a screening of my right breast, we call it mammografi here in Norway. Something I dont like...hope the results are ok.
Have to put on some more clothes I realize now...I am freezing!!
Going to our cottage in the mountain next week - so there will be no blogging :-)
'take care! Tone

Rhonda said...

Hello Heidi,
it was so nice have 2 long comments from you on my blog!

about the cow creamer, now I will think of you when I use it. It was only $5 at Pier 1, I'm guessing that is less than yours was.

And did you know I so happy to be at home most all the time now? I am on a leave of absence from my job and I hope I don't ever go back.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sentiments, Heidi!
xo,
Lynda

Pondside said...

Lovely post, Heidi.
I was home with my two children for twenty years - they are seven years apart - and didn't take up my chosen 'outside' work until I was nearly fifty. I have to say that I love my home, and the everyday things that go into keeping it. I loved reading that you do too.

Mary said...

On Feb. 12 - sending wishes on your special day Heidi.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.........

Wish I could be there for cake - or whatever!
With love, Mary.

BittersweetPunkin said...

happy Birthday...a little bird named Nancy told me...

Hugs,
Robin