Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Happy birthday Mother!

On this special day, 69 years ago my grandmother gave birth to her last child a baby girl who she named Nancy. This little girl grew up her daddy's spoiled little girl. My grandmother really showered love on her. Later, she met and married my father and I was the third of their children and her little baby girl.

My mother and I have had a typical mother~daughter relationship when I was growing up. Like all kids, there were good and bad moments but one thing was very different in my childhood which I only now realize as an adult. My parents very much encouraged my creativity. They allowed me to try anything I set my heart at with my hobbies. It has turned me into the person I have become. They also taught me to strive always to be truthful in life. I also developed my sense of humor from my family.

I remember a conversation I had with my mother when I was about 16. She told me that I would regret wanting to grow up too fast and would wish for the day when I was a child again. She was wrong and I told her so many years later. I told her I would not want to go back as then we were simply mother and daughter with all that needs to go along with her bringing me up correctly but now we are both that and friends. The adult relationship with her has brought on a new deminsion that I would not trade for the world. I even tell her to behave at times. *wink*

I wish you, mother, a very happy birthday today. It is an important day as it gave me and my siblings the person who loved us then as children and now as adults (well, almost adults as my brother and I say we never did really grow up).


"The Nest" painting by Sir John Everett Millais

10 comments:

Nancy said...

That was sooo nice Miss Heidi. I wish I looked like that lady holding that little girl. LOL. You are and always have been a very special girl. I love all my family and have been so blessed. I had a wonderful childhood and except for a couple major set backs (which you know) a wonderful life period. You really DID NOT have to put my age on your blog however. Can I be nine now like you are four?
Hugs and Kisses and much Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Heidi, van harte gefeliciteerd met de verjaardag van je moeder. Ik zal haar zelf even op haar Blog feliciteren.
Have a nice day and good Easterdays.
Groetjes
Elly

Kristen said...

You said how old she is! OHHHHHHH....... trouble! She is such a special person and we all love her and wish her a very happy birthday!!!

Amy Marie said...

Happy Birthday Aunt Nancy! You sure do have some people that love you to pieces!

Carolien said...

Nice thoughts about you and your mother, Heidi! Good to read such things.
You must have been to the exhibition?! Was it interesting?

Hugs, Carolien

Andylynne said...

Heidi,
What a sweet Birthday wish, my mom is in her 8os and I treasure every day with her. Went to your moms blog but she hadn't signed for today. I wouldn't trade my mother daughter relatoinship now either.

angelasweby said...

What a lovely glimpse into the magical and very special world of the mother daughter relationship. Those of us who are lucky enough to have and have had loving mothers, were blessed with riches beyond measure: unconditional love, guidance, encouragement, wisdom, a smile to brighten the darkest of days and a hug to melt away the worst of fears. Your loving mother has all these qualities and many many more - you could not have been better matched :>)

Ooh, Heidi, I have to say how delighted I was when I came to your blog and heard the gorgeous music you had selected. Having, only returned from my holiday in the early hours of this morning, I could not have been greeted by a lovelier piece of music :>)
Hugs, Angela

Betty said...

Heidi,
What a thoughtful post....I know your mother appreciates it.....

I always enjoy visiting with you...

Happy Easter to you as we commemorate the death and resurrection of our Savior.....Betty

Mary said...

Heidi I so enjoyed this post about you and your sweet Mom. She certainly doesn't look her age and should not be embarassed that you gave it way! Today, when I told the woman sitting next to me at the hairdressers (cut/color day!) that I was 64, she almost fell out of her chair! She said I could pass for 50! Of course she didn't have her glasses on!!

Amyway, life is what you make of it no matter your age - some people seem old at 60 others are still vibrant into their 90's. Who knows what's in store - life is a gamble and fate decides anyway!

Almost Spring - I can see it and smell it, the air is full of blossoms and pollen already!
Hugs to you - and it was great to see that pic of you and your handsome dh on Mom's blog!

Beatrice said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Mom. I can relate to it. My Mom is so special too.
God Bless and keep you and your Family "MOM especially" well for many, many years!