Wednesday, March 19, 2008

It is spring!

Celebrate the seasons.....celebrate spring!

***Note to everyone: It is Thursday, March 20th here in Europe but when I published this blog entry, it shows Wednesday still. It's a blogger thing. ***

Today spring has officially begun. It is the season of growth. I hope you find this season full of growth for yourself. Spend a few moments today really appreciating that a new season is beginning in your part of the world. Take a look outside at the signs of growth around you.


This is a famous painting by the Dutch artist Vincent Van Gogh. It is simply called "A Branch of an Almond Tree in Blossom". A single branch becomes a work of art when we take the time to really look at it. If there is nothing in bloom in your corner of the world, why not go out and treat yourself to a spring bouquet of flowers today? Why not go out into the garden and cut a flowering branch in bud. Bring it indoors where you can force it open in the warmth of your home?

I have learned on this journey that life is what we make it and it is the small things like this that teach us to appreciate the things around us. I used to feel down when spring arrived as I knew summer was coming with all its heat. My favorite seasons are autumn and winter. I learned through blogging to appreciate spring and summer for what they are. There is no autumn without a summer. I finally look forward to the rewards of nature in spring. I look out from this room where I sit onto my tiny garden. I can see my two very large wisterias full of buds and promise. I am looking forward to them blossoming and once again smelling their sweet perfume as I open my front door. To me, I now can appreciate spring as promise.

I was tagged by Mary at Across the pond for the six word memoir. I had also been tagged for this on my other blog and found it difficult until I realized I was making it too complicated. Today is a perfect day for this memoir...

Celebrate the seasons and their rewards!

Thanks to each of you who read my blog for taking this journey with me. It has been a wonderful way for me to see more around me. It has helped me to see in much more detail also. I have had new visitors comment lately and love getting to know more people. I appreciate my comments so much and look forward to getting on my blog to read your responses.

I am supposed to tag 5 blog friends but this is not an easy tag and many have already had it. If you would like to play along, then tag.....your it!

The rules are:

1. Write your own six (6) word memoir.
2. Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration, if you like.
3. Link to the person that tagged you in your post and to the original post if possible, so we can track it as it travels through the blogosphere.
4. Tag five more blogs with links.
5. Remember to leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play.

12 comments:

Carolien said...

Hi Heidi, you're absolutely right about the seasons and each season having its value! I always hated wintertime when I was a child (though I loved ice skating, of course!) because of the bare landscapes etc. I had to learn to appreciate that as well and I do now.
Have a nice day & hugs, Carolien

angelasweby said...

Heidi,
It was so refreshing to read your blog this morning. i am still on Cyprus time and waking very early. This morning is very grey but your blog has brought the sun out.
Vincent is one of my favourite artists (I had a strange relationship with him when i was very young and will tell you all about it when I see you) so seeing this beautiful painting really lifted my spirits. I love Spring for it's new beginnings, it's tentative unveiling of the new season's palette of colours and it's promise of warm summer months ahead. I just love the springiness of it all :>)
Hugs, Angela

Amy Marie said...

Happy Spring to you too Heidi! we are very excited for Spring, espeically little Charlie...however we woke up to an inch of snow this morning! Oh well, it will come eventually! Enjoy your day!

carolr said...

Hi Heidi, I love all the change in seasons too. I am like you also, because I don't look forward to the summer coming with all its heat! And I have the summer off! But this summer I will try to appreciate it more, like you have. Your statement that we couldn't have autumn without summer is true. So here's to spring and its beauty!

Ragged Roses said...

Happy Springtime to you Heidi, it's such an exciting time of year, I love it! We've snow forecast here this weekend so I'm feeling a bit sorry for all my little spring buds and bulbs! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Easter weekend. Take care
Kimxxx
PS I will send you the knitting book after Easter, you were the first to leave a comment so it seems fair that you should have it! Do not worry about swapping anything with me for it, I just wanted it to go to a good home and you have sent me enough gifts this month!!!!
xx

Pondside said...

Very true words. No one appreciates summer as much as the one who has lived through the cold of winter and the renewal of spring.

Nancy said...

Well, it might have been the first day of spring yesterda, but, we had snow AGAIN. Lucky for us, it melted from the roads.
We had good roads the whole way to Kristy's.
Kristy had your pendants hanging up in the dining room, and a very pretty cake for me. We went to Texas roadhouse, and of course Mitch told them it was my birthday.
I am glad Angela is home, so she can get ready to come to Holland. Sonja, I did get your card and thank you very much.
I am with some very special people from for Easter, wish you were here too.
Love you, Mom

Karen said...

Happy Spring Heidi - what a thought provoking post. Sometimes it's easy to dwell on things that we don't care for. In case of the seasons, your right, we need each one to have the other. Beautiful picture :)

Happy Easter - Karen

Mia said...

Dear Heidi! Is it really spring...? I should say finally, since I have so been looking forward to it, but at the moment I feel like saying already, since we have (indeed) got snow and and the world outside my window is white! Spring is my favourite season, full of promise and new beginnings, while I do have a fondness for autumn too (even though it feels a bit like the ending, and does have a melancholy feel to it). Winter is my least favourite season, but I have tried to change it this year, as winter in fact is my most creative and productive time.

I hope you will enjoy Easter and the coming spring season. Hugs, Mia

Andylynne said...

What a wonderful reminder to us all. How much do we miss when we make simple things so complicated. Or when we don't see the beauty in all the small things around us. If were not careful we can miss the subtle shift between one season to the next. Thank you for reminding me of this. There is something to learn and gain from all we encounter.

Elizabethd said...

Lovely thoughts. I did enjoy reading about your mother. I had a wonderful relationship with mine, and can still hear her say wise words (which I didnt appreciate at the time!)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Happy Spring Heidi! I really enjoyed this post...

For Easter, it is just my husband and me this year. Still, I will bake a ham, my husband will make scalloped potatoes, we will have baked beans, deviled eggs and lemon meringue pie.

I hope you have a wonderful Easter too!
Penny