Monday, March 10, 2008

Lord Byron's lady


Do you ever see something and know you just have to buy it? It is love at first sight. This happened on Saturday when we went to the garden nursery to buy some climbers for our living fence. There is a section of things for indoors or on your garden patio. I saw this lady on a shelf. She was the only one and I was struck by how well made she is. She is very heavy and it took some convincing Jos to get her off the shelf and put her into our cart. She is on the chest of drawers now in the guest room. I was struck right away by the Lord Byron poem when I saw her.....



"She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!"



16 comments:

Nancy said...

She has a very pretty face. I like this one better than the other one you showed us. I can just see you trying to tell Jos you had to have it. HAHAHAHA

Fete et Fleur said...

Heidi!
She really is beautiful. Whoever made her, really captured the beauty of womanhood. I love the poem. It's perfect.

Hugs! Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hallo Heidi, Mike heeft nu ook jouw blog gezien en vond natuurlijk jouw omgetoverde bureaustoel geweldig!!
We hebben allebei een gezellige avond gehad!!Het was weer heeerlijk motiverend en stimulerend om zo samen te zijn! Welterusten voor nu, en groetjes van ons allebei.

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Heidi...I thought I sent you an email...could you email me so I can let you know your total from Friday Flea market if I haven't already...and an address to send it to?
Thanks

Betty said...

Heidi,
Lord Byron's lady is beautiful...I would have purchased her....thanks for dropping in to visit....Betty

Rhondi said...

Hi Heidi
I love the lady and Lord Byron's poem describes her perfectly! such a lovely find! Be blessed. Rhondi xo

Mary said...

Heidi - LOVE your new Delftware (sp?) banner - just a beautiful piece to display for Spring.  My cousin in England has a lot, plates etc., on the wall, she's the one with a wonderful Dutch husband too!
I would definately have brought Lord Byron's lady home too - she's lovely and I like that you are keeping her inside.  Personally I enjoy large garden ornaments in the home - that's why my urns seem to end up on tables rather than concrete paths or wood decking!!
I'm having numerous Blogger problems the past couple of days - guess I should have married an IT guy (of course there was no such person in those days!)it's all so frustrating.  Hope to post second part of my current collecting story today if possible!
Have a super week - weather is lovely here - sunny and mid-60's every day this week - my kind of weather.Hugs - Mary.

Nancy said...

You new heading if very pretty, and very you.
Love you, Mom

Kristen said...

The poem is perfect and the bust is absolutely wonderful! I love your new title on the blog! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

Rhondi said...

Hi Heidi. Did I miss your new banner yesterday when I visited? It is beautiful! I presume it is a picture of a tile mural? Delft? Oh how I would like to have that on a wall in my home. It is really starting to feel like spring around here, trees in blossom, grass needing to be cut. I just love spring don't you? Hope you're having a good day. rhondi xo

Andylynne said...

She is so serene, just beautiful. I'm glad you brought her home with you. The flower you put in front of her on the dresser is the perfect touch. Does Jos now see the wisdom of bringing her home:)
Did you ever decide on the vines for the living fence?

Karen said...

The poem and the bust are wonderful and I LOVE your new banner. Very cute.

Hugs - Karen

Mia said...

What a lovely makeover and new banner in your blog, Heidi! So light, bright and spring like.

Love the new lady you have bought too. Are you going to keep her inside, or is she going to make your garden even more beautiful outside? And the Lord Byron poem... lovely!

Ragged Roses said...

She is beautiful Heidi " a mind at peace with all below, a heart whose love is innocent", beautiful words too.
Kimx

Ragged Roses said...

Forgot to say that I really like the new banner, it's so fresh and spring-like!
Kimx
Thanks too for the lovely words on my blog

Carolien said...

I like your banner! It's lovely and very, very Dutch ...
You did buy a nice room mate for your mother!

Hugs, Carolien